Monday, March 12, 2012

2012.03.12 — Movement to King's Pawn Gambit


Today I decided to celebrate a small accomplishment: the web-publication of one of my poems.

I've had this kind of success before, but kept that publication to myself. I'm not sure why. Perhaps to keep myself from giving the appearance of bragging. Really!? I get a poem published on the web, and I'm afraid of looking like a braggart?! WTF? That might be the most prideful idiocy I've read in a long time. And it came from my own finger tips! Egad.

OKay, I'll look for some other kind of rationalization, one less brutal. Perhaps I've kept these tiny achievements as small as possible, to keep my Self as small as possible. There may be some truth to this. But again, how small can that thought be? Not any smaller. And it is actually more pathetic than the last one.

Enough flagellation.

The poem arose from the creative picture of Rose Mary Boehm's blog Houseboat.

Movement [later changed to King's Pawn Gambit]

The day is overcast.
The men stand still
in a square of squares.
What movement there is
needs to be weighed
and found sound.
There is implicit a generosity
of time, an unconscious
resting into a distracted mindful now.
What movements there are
are prompted by quiet pieces,
without ultimate meanings.
Life is alive in the stillness.
Please visit the Houseboat blog to see not only my poem, King's Pawn Gambit, in context with the photograph and to see the other great poems, beautiful photographs and art.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! That's a lovely poem. I lurk around Houseboat once in a while. All the poetry on there is wonderful. I'm going to have to head over there to see the photo that inspired this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex, and glad you enjoyed the poem.

    And I am awed by how much reading and writing you get done! I really do appreciate you making time to visit my little odd-blog. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I check it almost everyday to see what wonderful writing you have been writing.

    ReplyDelete